Saturday, April 12, 2003

Why must everyone have plans for me on May 3rd!?

As you know, Cinqo de mayo is supposed to take part on the fifth, or a day on the weekend closest to the fifth, but as I was supposed to go to Victoria for a conference (I was really looking forward to 5 days on the island--sure it was with my parents, but most of it would be on my own or with Brent) so it got bumped to the 10th. I went to go and book my days off of work for that weekend, and it turns out that that is the same weekend Ruby and Stephen are getting married!

Enter panic mode!

I really committed myself to that weekend for my parents. My mother checked 17 times to make sure that it was not interfering with anything else. How was I to know about the wedding?! I felt so bad, and what made it worse was that Stephen had the invite already here for me (I'd like to add how super cool the invite is. It's red velvety with a chinese dragon and peacock on it in gold letters in English and Chinese letters. Most amazing looking invite I've seen in a while). I had to call my mother and cancel (I'm really glad that I still could give her a few weeks notice). I tried to figure out how much I owed her for the trip, especially if I could not make it. She refused to tell me the cost and said that she would try to get one of Brent's caregivers to go. I really wanted to go to Victoria, I love road trips, I love taking the ferry, but I really want to go to Stephen's wedding.

So, that's that. I feel so bad for cancelling that.

In other news: I register Monday and have finished my classes for this semester. Two more exams, and no more papers. That was fun. By Friday I was toasted by all nighters or 4 hours of sleep. I came home and slept solid through the night. Except for Bend it Like Beckham which I went to with Bob and Rachael, against my better judgement. Which I will post a review of separately.

No comments: