Monday, April 14, 2003

uhh hi everyone. I have this fucked up, super great, but hyperactive social life right now and at the same time I have the, can only log on after midinght because my hours ran out through SFU thing right now. I was telling Owen the other day (much to his horror) that yes, I am on dial up. SAD. fuck. I know, but cheap (like free cheap) through school so yhea look, my point is that the only time I get to write is after I get home from my nights out and that has ranged, since last Wed., from 1 to 4 am. The idea of tryin' to discuss parenthood or religion in civilization makes me sort of want to puke. oh shit, ha, you know what I mean right? just because it's 4:36 am right now.
Ok I'll dish a little before I go. I'll just give the highlights from tonight. I went to see Buddy Wakefield (click on the talking head it says in the liner notes of his cd) tonight and this is how it went down. I showed up at the venue at like ten and he was already on stage but the stage is right by the door and he was just between pieces so he got this big grin on his face and he says really loud "Hi Karen. Karen's here y'all." So I was like all glowing and I figured well what the hell, he started it right, so I was like "I made this for you." and I pull out this thing I made for him earlier today. It was this metal wire all wrapped around in little spirals to look like a flower and stem, but then I painted it with nail polish and you can use it to blow bubbles. cool eh? ok anyway so I'm like "It's a bubble maker." and he looks sort of like 'ok.... but he said "thank you Karen" and asked if it was to use with dish soap I was like "yhea, yhea." I got to see two of his works and he rocks my world. I'll try to give you some lines I think I have down ok, "pretend for a second that inside of you is someone who will give you everything you've always wanted in exchange for everything you've ever been." - "pretend you're just being yourselves, pretend you live for a living." - "she said I was amazing for the things I see and she was amazing to me" - "you still don't know you're amazing, you still don't know you're amazing." - "there was a boy sits on a log, eatin' pie, drinkin' fog, playing catch with a dog that just won't run his way, and there was a girl sits on a swing that don't sway singing songs about history, sayin' why'd's vanity look so good on me? but there's a little dity called happiness says I'm gonna walk away from this, before I loose my masterpiece to an ectch a sketch again. and in the morning when I rise if everybody's being randomly kind and I feel as good as I do tonight, then I'm gonna walk away from this with a little dity called happiness.""

It was a really great line up, CR Avery, This chick from Montreal who does spoken word but uses petals to get loops and effects, These four guys (Jason's the lead and writer) who use acustic guitars and do classical/rock melding stuff (weird but ok), an opera singer who was really great, and Randy who does the most beautiful poem about butterfly sex went up with a sax player. I never knew it was possible but it gets to me ever time. as soon as he went up his sax player had to take a minute so he was sort of stalling and was takeing requests and I yelled Butterflies and he looked at me a grinned and he was like "I'm doing that one." I felt all in the loop cause the one I asked for was the one he had planned out with the sax guy. Ahh happy days. there were hugs and love all round.

there's more cause there's always more but I'm spent for now. Ohoh oh yhea but tomorrow, Monday night will be um well outstanding is still a pale shadow of what it will be at the slam on Monday, tomorrow. um a guess it's really Monday now. I really need to go to bed. I feel slower by the second and my back aches and my back never aches. umm oh I remember what I wanted to say. I love you guys. Karen

No comments: