Wednesday, April 16, 2003

This morning was warm and sleepy and freakishly domestic.

Last night I excavated Ben's breadmaker from the dark recesses of his closet, and resurrected the bread mysteries of the past. I then set the machine to finish at 5:50 AM (10 minutes before Ben was due to wake up). At 2:30 AM we were both woken by the sound of the machine turning on and kneading the dough. For half an hour, neither of us could get back to sleep while the bread kneaded and kneaded and kneaded. I was just getting used to kicking around Ben's postage-stamp sized place, but the noise from the kitchen this morning has made it much much smaller.

So at 6:30, Ben woke me up, even though the alarm's volume was turned way down, and I went to check the bread. It was, quite frankly, the most perfect loaf of bread I've ever made. I've flubbed a lot of bread in my time. We ended up eating hot bread and butter in bed, getting crumbs all over the place (apparently we both think that the other is worth it).

We ended up walking out to the bus stop together (I had to run an errand with him), and I kissed him goodbye before he got on the bus destined for a long day of making people pay. I headed back to his house to pick up my stuff and (evidently) write this blog entry.

He phoned half an hour later to tell me that his co-worker had seen us and referred to me as his wife. This was very significant to him. I'm not sure how I feel about it - it's what I want eventually, but right now I'm full speed ahead for school.

ACK!!! I sound like a such a girl, and certainly not like myself. It's kind of nice to have quiet, happy moments in my life, though. Luckily, Ben is game for necrophile jokes and anime nights (check out the gratuitous panty shots in "Kiki's Delivery Service"), so it's not boring in the least. I don't think I've finished the conversion to hausfrau quite yet, but it's kind of fun to play at it for a day.

-A

No comments: