Saturday, April 12, 2003

Bend it Like Beckham

Here is where I go a wee girly (don't worry it's just temporary): OMG! <3<3<3!! I tolly <3 accents! OMG what a hottie! /girly.

Alright, aside from the cute boy (which I will add is not that cute but he has an accent worthy of my attention and portrays a sweet, lovely boy in need of some serious corruption) I do have valid things to say about this movie.

Now on with the show:
I liked it. That's an in depth review if ever there was one, eh?

Anyway, I don't want to insult it or make it sound bad but the synopsis is about an (East) Indian girl who's family insists that she respect and honour her family name by acting like a proper Indian (marry Indian, cook Indian, act Indian, dress like a girl). The crux of the conflict comes in with Jasminder's (Jas) desire to play "footy" (Football/Soccer). And from what she's played in the park with her all guy soccer group: she's a respectable player. Cut to cracker girl (Juliet/Jules) jogging in the park. Spots Jasminder and tells her she should try out for the team that Juliet plays for. Jasminder does, and the coach (Joe) is impressed and puts her on the team.

The story is really about one's conflicts with family tradition, pressures and expectations. All three of the main characters have some sort of failure to live up to their parent's expectations or desires for them. Both Jas and Jules are product of biased parents (primarily their mothers). Jules's mother wants her to stop playing football, wear lacey undergarments and dress more femine like so that she can attract the boys better. Jas's mother has told her explicitly to stop with the football and to start learning how to attract and marry an Indian husband. Joe is on the other side of things. After pressure from his father to participate more heavily in football, Joe sustains a permanent injury that prevents him from playing, and forces him into coaching. Underlying this coaching "problem" is that he has decided to coach a women's team.

That's the crux of the story. Where I thought the movie succeeded was in the portrayal of being torn between family and self, with two equally important things occuring on the same day. I found myself clapping at a goal (forgive me, I was exhausted and for a brief moment film and reality blurred). I found myself really rooting for the "home team" to win (Jas getting the boy, Jas scoring the goal, Jas getting on the team).

The cinematography was really good as well. The cut scenes between a wedding and a game to emphasize the importance of events in each person's life was well done. And while normally I am not a big fan of Indian music, it was well woven in. I think I even heard the British Columbian singer who covers Celine Dion in India--she's made quite a name for herself.

It is still a story about a girl coming of age, but at least it used a story line and underlying circumstances that were interesting.

Arbitrary score of 171.

No comments: