Thursday, May 29, 2003

So it's official... I need a new body. My old one finally crapped out on me and now I'm teetering on the edge of sugery (not going to happen unless I dislocate again within the next year). For those of you that I haven't talked to in a while, I dislocated my shoulder in January and then again a week later in February. Following that I attended some physiotherapy that I recently learned was further injuring my shoulder. Following the laughable therapy, I attended some real therapy. it helped a bit and I was looking foreward to returning to work this month, or maybe mid-June at the latest.

Fast forward to last friday. WCB says I need to return to work right away. My shoulder is still not ready, and as such, my work say, "No way! If you go in for a rescue, and your arm falls off, two people die! No dice!" WCB says, "Okay then, time for occupational rehab." For those of you who have the benefit of being relatively healthy or in good shape, Occupational Rehab is basically a 6 - 10 week program to prepare you for your return to work. It is scheduled for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, but each day is closer to 7 hours. At rehab, I get to wander around doing repetetive tasks such as bolting pieces of wood to a pegboard for half an hour, or lugging a bag of rice back and forth across a gym as many times as i can in 20 minutes. This, coupled with a workout schedule (which I am not complaining about - I need an excuse to excercise) comprises my day from now until approximately August.

Nothing like waking up at 630am to be at rehab ny 730am, followed by the most boring work possible, followed by pain, followed by sleep-inducing education sessions about lifting with your knees and feel good psychology about how being injured doesn't make you less of a person. Add in the fact that I am the youngest person there by about 15 years. Also add that I am not an overweight, hippie, furniture mover or carpet cleaner and you will understand why I hate it so much. I should just lie and go back to work or something...

Other than that, life is grand! Consider the above rant my excuse for not calling you back if you contact me between the hours of 6am and 2 pm. I also tend to sleep at about 10pm now (so I can get up and function at 630am), so factor that in too. Weekends are still free, but I have yet to test how long I will be able to stay awake and still function the next day. Ugh.

No comments: