Monday, May 26, 2003

Of deleted posts, movies, television, and crazy whores.

Of Deleted Posts
I had a post here originally. It was inspired by Rachael's email, which I will include later. Anyway, it got deleted when I tried to preview it as a post. And it vanished into the unknown and if it ever shows up again...

Of Television
I was watching television while visiting my parents (because that is what they do). Anyway I'm watching "Phat15" on Much (I remember when it was called MuchMusic), a show that pretends that it is presenting the top 15 most influential rap musicians of the 80s and beyond. And in between the segments were ads. And there is a new Vodka cooler called Pure. And there is a pregnancy test called Clearblue. These commercials come on one after another. In teen programming. And then the Civic Nation Represent ad (it's actually a great concept to advertise to people who prettify their $15,000 cars with lights and paint).

Of Movies

Part I
To tie in a few things here, we have the Civics mentioned above, the email from Rachael and the movies, which can only add up to one thing! Yes, kids it's the summer blockbuster kick-off with crappy dialogue and a pound and a half of eye candy per square inch. Some of us here at The Last Time would argue that it kicked off with Matrix: Reloaded, but I sincerely believe that M:R is one movie that has people thinking and hypothesizing and trying to dispute what the Matrix is. No one* cares about what the engine speed is.
*Although I have been wrong in the past.
And here is Rachael's RSVP for 2 Fast 2 Furious:

Part II
Bully
I had a few problems with this movie. Namely, I didn't care about any of the actors or characters. Here is a pile of 17 year old fucktards, highly drugged up, oversexed and plotting the demise of one of their peers. Sure, there was one that was undersexed and wasn't cool enough to be offered drugs. And there was one who wasn't even 17, but rather 22. You just don't care about the demise of the target or the kids themselves. On the outset, seven kids being involved in a murder is tragic because it is based on a true story, but actually watching these kids, you don't care if they get caught, get punished, succeed in killing the kid.
A lot of teen nudity, teen sex, teen drugs, teen idiocy, teen dialogue, teen angst, teen pregnancy, teen parenting and not enough real push for caring what happens to the characters themselves. Caught it with Erin, Aidan and Grae. The extra features interviews is where lay the true comedy gold.

Part III
About a Boy
Based on the book by Nick Hornby (High Fidelity), this movie is hysterical. I laughed so hard at this movie. I remember hearing about this movie via Badly Drawn Boy doing the soundtrack a while back and really wanting to see it (especially after the High Fidelity tie-in). Never got around to it, no one wanted to go and see it with me, etc. It was playing at my parents' place on the digital cable and I watched it with Grae and my dad. Followed by FUBAR (which my mother returned home to be unimpressed by the language). One of the best scenes in About a Boy is when Marcus, the kid, is singing "Shake your ass! Watch yourself!" down the hallway of his school. And the voiceovers are hilarious and poignant. Awesome, awesome movie.

Of Whores
The life of the bus rider is one of many adventures. On Saturday, on my way to work, two crazy strung out whores were yelling at each other.
"I can take you out in one punch."
"I highly doubt it, you whore."
"I'll even let you take the first hit you stupid skank. You won't even be able to hit me."
"You're such a fucking whore."
"At least I'm not a drug addict."
"Yeah, well. So what?"
"Yeah. So. What."
"Fuck you."
"Fuck you. I'm going to kick your ass. When do you get off?"
"Fuck you, you fucking fuck. I get off at fucking Kingsway, you fucking whore."
"I'll get off early just to fucking kicking your sorry ass."
"Are you psychotic? Are you on medications or something?!"
"No! I'm not on medications, but I am psychotic! But I'm not on anything."
"Maybe you should be."
"Maybe I should."
"Yeah. Maybe you should."
"Maybe I should."
"Yeah. Maybe you should."
"Maybe I should."
"Yeah. Maybe you should."
"Maybe I should."
"Yeah. Maybe you should."
"Maybe I should."
"Yeah. Maybe you should."
"Fuck you."
Somewhere amongst all this animosity the women start shoving each other in their seats. The bus driver finally kicks the psychotic "one" off of the bus (with much difficulty) with two buses waiting behind it (trolley buses have to wait for the lead bus). Now to add to the image of the squabbling drug/psycho prostitutes from hell: They both looked in their forties and haggard. Classy dames, I tell you. The prize of Cordova those women were.

No comments: