Tuesday, July 08, 2003

So I officially flunked out of rehab. Sounds grim doesn't it?

Basically, after a month of going to the gym for six hours a day, five days a week, my shoulder gave out. After lifting a CPR dummy from a simulated pool edge, my right shoulder just peeled back and I lost all ability to hold anything in it for about a day or so. After about a week of not doing much with it in rehab, the Workman's Compensation Board decided that I should get it looked at. It had been six months and I had not recieved so much as an X-ray. Now, I have recieved my X-ray and am scheduled to recieve an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan in about a weeks time.

The crux of the situation is that I need to decide whether or not swimming and lifeguarding are really that important to me. If I decide to give up on both, then I will likely not be required to have surgery. If I can't live without them, then I will definitely need shoulder reconstruction. Reconstruction will give me more stability, but will take away some of my flexibility. I don't really like the idea of surgery, but then again, swimming has been a huge part of my life for ages. I guess I'll just have to see how the MRI goes and make a decision after that.

No comments: