Friday, July 04, 2003

As promised: some recent photos taken of my recent adventures.

Seattle walk. Leaving Singles Going Steady in search of food (I warned them there would be none) en route to the show. It took us a ridiculous amount of time to find parking only to realize how sad the parking timing we had was. If we had spent an hour more outside of Seattle parking owuld have been half the cost. Not to mention that where we did park, it was as far from Graceland (worst venue to date) as possible.


I saw this bear leaving the Clubhouse in the back alley last week. It looked so pathetic and unloved that I just had to capture his last moments before his ultimate (presumed) demise in a dump truck. I heard the couple screaming the day before. This is why people should not have kids. They can't even keep bears... imagine what they do to the children!

Fire Pictures

This was a car that I found in an alleyway just south of the fire yesterday. It's hard to tell in this picture, but all the cars in the alley were covered in ash. It seemed to show up really well on the white car, but I can't fit a huge high-quality scan on this website. I have the photos for clearer views. They'll be with me to Cinemuerte.


More ash. This time this is the view from directly below the smoke towers. The smoke could be seen from the north shore, so there were a lot of "under smoke" areas.


All the power was out in the city for about four blocks. One of the stores, kept its doors open wide, but the iron bars prevented people from going in. It was eerie to see everyone out of their buildings milling about, watching the fire. I found out much later that they had no where to go to work. The power was out for quite a few blocks.

This is the first scene I came upon. Most of it is just smoke billowing out of the buildings and water everywhere. Emergency vehicles blocked off every road, and many traffic cops were directing cars away from the area. I wanted to get a picture of the line up of buses (the only vehicles allowed along Hastings street) but I would have got run over.

This is how close to Harbour Centre the fire was. It was a neat angle to see smoke drown out the buildings behind it. I waited for clearings to see the revolving building in the background. I bet they were busy at that time. All those people out of work, a lot of people competing for a good angle to see what was going on, and a great perspective. I wish I had thought of it then.

A giant tower of smoke. It was a dark grey, nearly black at the beginning of the fire. I left the area when the smoke was turning orange and white. The white being steam and the orange being presumably toxins. The dark grey tower was when the ash was inescapable in Vancouver. I suppose the ash continued to fall for a while afterwards.


For those of you who were out and about on Thursday, you would know that it was a gorgeous day. Very few clouds in the sky. But the black smoke was blocking out the sun at times, and from certain angles. I took this one quickly so as to not burn my eyes or anything foolish like that. Reminds me of pictures form the depths of outer space that you find on the back of Skeptical Inquirer magazines.

No comments: