Friday, June 06, 2003

Radiohead at Famous Players.

We're seated in an orderly fashion at around 9:15pm. All is on the up and up of all things theatrical. They show a couple of commercials (including the severely overplayed Civic Nation represent ad) on their newest commercialization toy, the digital projector. I'm not caring too greatly about it all because ads are typical for these kinds of things, but recalling from my memory how much Radiohead are against advertisements (thus their last North American tour was limited to places that did not have stadium advertisements) and the theatre blared Radiohead songs over them. Instead Alex and I end up chatting, leaving poor Bob to go to the washroom and then? uh, I don't know exactly what Bob did while Alex and I were talking. THEN THEY PLAYED SOME VIDEOS. Starting off with the unedited version of Paranoid Android, followed by my personal favourite video Street Spirit (Fade Out) followed by There There. As soon as the video started, one of those Famous thing kids turns off the sound to talk about how we should act during the concert. Piss FUCKER. I hadn't seen the video yet and everyone was getting super antsy about her yammering on while this video was silently rocking on in front of us. Sucked. And even when she was done the techies were slow on the audio switching. But then it did come up. Rachael: the video has bunnies. Very much reminded me of Bjork's Human Nature video.

And on with the show. Maybe. Audio is going. Visual is not. Visual is going. Visual is not going. Visual is going. Visual is not going. Visual is going. A couple black outs started the show and seeing as how on the west coast they would have had three different time zones before us to figure it out, but they obviously didn't. Anyway, once that annoyance was done with we watched the show.

I really need to remember that I am a writer and as such should consider bringing a lighted pen and paper. I would have written the set list had I thought of any of these things in advance. I must say that it was good stuff no matter what songs they played. It was definitely a happier Radiohead than I have seen in the past. Admittedly bands get tired on tour and this was an early show in the grand scheme of things, but the band seemed genuinely light-hearted and happy. Musical highlights for me include the third encore's solo song of True Love Waits (I love that song) and a quick half cover of After the Goldrush. That was super cool. It's a song from my childhood that I used to think was the prettiest song ever. I got a mp3 of it a while back, as well as Four Strong Winds, further evidence that my parents actually had an influence on my musical tastes.

Seeing as it is now the end of my work day (they got me cake and a Pooh Balloon? so cute), I am going to call it a day. I'll post tomorrow about Monday Matinee movies.

No comments: