Sunday, August 31, 2003

Radiohead show in Vancouver

Pretty damn good show. Met up with Corinne and Graeme in the head zone, where we literally couldn't be any closer to the stage. I arrived, nearly late, with my pal Daniel. The two of us headed straight to the show after our 10-day trip to California, the last three days of which were spent driving--what a way to cap it off.

Here's the setlist, with comments about my personal highlights.

2+2=5
Sit Down. Stand Up: A great bout of wild dancing by Thom Yorke, which is probably my favorite thing about watching this band in concert.
Where I End & You Begin
Kid A: "This is a happy song about heads on sticks." Vastly different from the studio version. It might've been around this song that a V of Canada geese flew by and made the crowd cheer crazily; I suspect the band were oblivious to what happened to make the show even more of a spectacle.
Backdrifts: More fun dancing by Thom, so much better than the album recording.
Myxomatosis
Lucky
Paranoid Android: I can never get tired of this song and its epicness. "OFF WITH HIS HEAD MAN, OFF WITH HIS HEAD, WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER MY NAME?"
Sail To The Moon
You & Whose Army: Probably my favorite of the show. There was a video screen used throughout the show, and during the piano-centric first part to this song, Thom really hammed it up to the camera. Everyone was laughing at his facial expressions and vocal intonations. I've seen more serious versions of this song, so this take on it was a sweet surprise.
Go To Sleep
I Might Be Wrong
Like Spinning Plates
The Gloaming: Heavy heavy heavy bass and spooky loops and effects made this superior to the album version.
Idioteque: This my favorite Radiohead song, but this particular performance didn't blow me away as others have. The one in Vancouver 2001 was a bit better.
No Surprises
There There: Lovely tribal drumming by Phil joined by the guitarists Ed and Jonny, building up to Jonny's tasty guitar part.
The National Anthem
Wolf At The Door: The one song I hoped to hear the most; Thom's ranting and rapping is so much fun. "I WISH YOU'D GET UP GET OVER GET UP GET OVER AND TURN YOUR TAPE OFF!"
Airbag
Street Spirit
Karma Police: Joined by Michael Stipe from REM, cool stuff. It was a bit hurt by being impromptu, but then that's not the point.
Just
Everything In Its Right Place

So yes, it was quite a muy bueno concert. I can't say if this was a better show than Vancouver 2001; they were both amazing for different reasons.

No comments: