Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Much

1. Sorry for not making it out last night, guys. I wasn't feeling well. But that is no excuse. Next time I'll make you all ill and come. Sounded like I missed some great flicks.

2. I can pay for school. With $9,530 to my name (with a debt of $7,000 something), I can afford school. Hooray for me! I got the maximum coverage AND a grant of $3K. I rock.

3. Went to a show on Monday (by pure chance). It was one of those decisions that you make when you don't want to be inside all day. So Grae, who also had Monday off, and I ventured out to... Nothing. We decided to catch up with Gareth, as he's one of our fellow Monday-offers. Went to Virgin where I harrassed a store clerk about how Virgin/EMI's copy protect doesn't work on my discman and asked for suggestions on how to consume their shitass products in workable order. His suggestion? Take back my discman and get a newer version. This would be impossible as I got my discman on sale and it's not the discman's fault. Any new disman that would be on par with mine would have a digital out and still have the same problem. EMI/Virgin causes the end consumer to work EXTRA hard to listen to their buggy discs. Bastards. He also offered that I buy import versions ($30 vs. $15 for the CD I was looking at) as overseas versions (other than Australia and NZ) are free of the software that is buggy. So, as a consumer, I have to pay extra. Either by buying import or buying a new disman solely for the purposes of listening to EMI discs. ::grumble::
After that we ended up back at Metrotown A&B, where Andrew offered us a ride to a show of Sara's in Slurrey/Whalley. Grae and I took it, Gareth stayed back (think he was making plans with his new heterolifemate, Owen). It was a good show. It was odd that End This Week With Knives (the very firstest band) ended up earning my respect the most. The drummer from Misery Signals was the awesomest. He played in his drawers. Anyway, after all the bands played, Sara paid everyone including the sound guy (who almost never gets paid, but does it for the fun of it). Apparently Savannah (from Edmonton) felt that they weren't paid enough ($100 for half an hour of work for something that you should love doing for a crowd that's into it isn't bad) despite other people getting paid less. And apparently, Savannah does this kind of shit to promoters often enough that there were grumbling murmurs out back about it. Something about the singer would rather play to no one for $1K than to play for a full house and get paid $100. The guy was a massive dick and yelled at Sara until she broke down crying because she had no money left (and shouldn't give them any on principle--she paid them well). Guy was a cockmuncher. After all was said and done (and Savannah and their pack of bitchy girlfriends left), I found out that well before the payment went around, End This Week With Knives gave up their share of the profits to go to the other bands (one from a WI, and another from NC) because they were local and didn't need it. They played for the fun and exposure. That is how you get to other shows, and have your name at the top of a promoter's list. You team play and enjoy yourself. I totally repsected that.

That night I learned that slurpee machines get cleaned at 1am.

4. Found this link. Just read it to the end. Disgusting.

5. And I was in a bus accident. My bus took a door off of a car.

No comments: