Monday, September 01, 2003

The Weekend In Review (still going)

How to fit a month of fun in a 24 hour span: Don't sleep.

Friday was my last day of work. This was celebrated by... nothing. We sat around at the WANK for quite a while, Peggy brought in some yummy pineapple buns (and egg tarts, coconut bun thingees) for my last day. She said to come back for some lunch sometime, which I am sure I will do... Unlike Tim. Which reminds me, I should see that boy again soon.

Friday and Saturday found me finishing up the preparations for Christian's incoming. Not exciting, but necessary.

And so begins the no sleeping...

Saturday Night with Radiohead!


1. The Gloaming was awesome. A wall of bass shoke my entire body including my throat. Impressive.

2. You & Whose Army was the most entertaining. If only becuase he was surpressing laughter at a couple points.

3. And Idiotheque is a crowd pleaser. Made this front of the gate kid very happy.

4. Like Spinning Plates is an album song that just doesn't do it for me. However, on the I Might Be Wrong EP is a great live version. The live version validates the song.

A little short; it really highlighted problems with Thunderbird's curfew (which was probably not met--even though the show ended at 10pm on the nose).

I would have loved to see "True Love Waits". Forever my favourite song by them.

I wish I had the time, money and means to have gone to the next show in Seattle last, night, but it was not to be. Even though I was in Seattle and saw a very familiar looking tour bus from the Radiohead show in the downtown core of Seattle at a hotel. Daniel convinced me it was the Radiohead bus arriving in town after sleeping in Vancouver the night before. It was 9am on the nose, and I just couldn't watch the bus any longer, I had to go to F.A.O. Schwartz... which I'll come back to.

At 1am on Saturday night I went to bed. I was up at 2:30am, and then again at 4:30am. At 4:30am I was up and getting dressed. Daniel picked me up to take me to Seattle so he could drop off the car in Seattle, and get a ride back up with Christian. On the ride down we had a lot of fun. Daniel and Christian are both American, so the border crossings both ways were both strange and easy. Daniel, driving down, could not be refused entry. I could, but they are less likely to do so. On the way back up, both of the guys could be refused entry, but then where would that leave me? Ahhh.... the Canuck in the US cars.

By 6am we were in the US, barreling down the I-5. We were in Seattle by 8am. This left time for us to get lost with Mapquest's BAD instructions. It couldn't dinstiguish 6th Avenue NORTH and 6th Avenue PLAIN. We ended up in the industrial area of Seattle in the 100 block (looking for 1301). We had to go all over and around the highways. The Swedish Cultural Center was found, and 1301 6th Avenue North was spotted. This did not look good for Homestar Runner. We then decided to try the downtown core for the other 6th Avenue that spawned from the 6th Avenue we chased. It was a one-way street, that somewhere went one-way east and another part went one-way west. This was not cool. We did eventually find it after doing loops all over the city. It was a sign no bigger than a CPU saying "Rental Drop Off". It was a lot of fun. Daniel and I had some time to kill, so we wandered around a sleeping city on a Sunday morning (I guess we were supposed to be in church). We stumbled across F.A.O. Schwartz. It normally opened at 11am, but was now open at 10am. I called Christian and told him to be late half an hour. While waiting for F.A.O. Schwartz to open (it was only 9:30 by this time), Daniel and I wandered down to a Barnes and Noble. I learned three things: Radiohead's copy protect isn't there because Capitol Records distributes the music there, Hello Kitty's boyfriend's name is Daniel, and that I could buy a text book for class there for less than it would cost in Canada (by about a dollar). After chillin' at the B&N until 9:57am we bolted down the street to get to F.A.O. Schwartz on the nose. I was overwhelmed by this store. So many toys, such abrassive music, such movement of stuff. And the tin soldier dude (with little remaining self-respect) and Mother Goose were making their rounds. Found a really cool Elmo who does the Hokey Pokey and another Elmo that does the chicken dance. Frightening toys. They had original (and by original, I mean not-knock-off) Raggedy Anne and Andy dolls, the new "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls, and a whole lot of Barbie--including this new kind that gives them weird-ass huge eyes that are shaped like cat's eyes. That place is like the upper level of Toys R Us. In one sense you won't find Snifty Snakes at F.A.O. Schwartz, like you might at Toys R Us, but that's because Snifty Snakes has not been made for over 20 years now. It's like it passes the non-sellers onto Toys R Us.

Christian yoinked us from the corner outside of F.A.O. Schwartz (quick side story: Daniel snapped up a little kid's "Lost Pet" sign about his turtle that was signed "P.S. I'll Find My Turtle. Love, Tommy") and we headed on the junk food trip. Stops in Burlington (Krispy "Hot Doughnuts" Kreme) and Bellingham (JitB and Cost Cutters--Lunch, Live Wire and Guacamole chips).

Back in Canada, we dropped Daniel off, and made our way to the Clubhouse.

AND THEN ONTO A MOVIE (Christ, this is only one day). Christian and I met up with Miyuki and Paul at the Ridge theatre and caught Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns. It was awesome. Very cool movie. And now I know infinitely more about They Might Be Giants. My only issue was (probably liscencing issues) that they did not mention in the early 90's, what introduced a lot of people my age to them was a cartoon that did music videos of a bunch their songs off of Flood: Tiny Toons Adventures. I think it was the consensus that that is where we all heard of them from. I'm all about getting more Giants stuff now.

From the movie to the Clubhouse where I made insta-dinner for a bunch of people (I lost count... maybe 8 or more) of perogies. Alcohol consuming began, we got Christian into his toga, and we were out on the town not long after. The people who came out got to see such exciting things as Christian humping a cop car and later hugging his favourite police officer. Other things of joy and note were his search for the elusive panties, the stipper whipping his ass, and the private room lap dance ("this is how I shake my junk like a black girl" ...?...). Only wish more of Christian's friends from before wedding would have attended. It was all about supporting a friend through an amplified break-up and having a good time. And those that bailed, while I'm not surprised by any of it, I'm a little disappointed (and I have a feeling I am not the only one). We had a lot of fun, and the group was awesome. More alcohol next time.

Back to the Clubhouse for one last drink and social. Poor Rob got wasted beyond repair. He had made friends with some guys at the strip club who kept buying him beer (mmm buttsex), and found himself to be unable to sit down, stand up or otherwise be social. Took a nap in the bed and got taken to The Sorority. I wonder how the early morning ferry went for him... :D

3am rolled around, I finished washing up the dishes and went to bed. That was almost 24 hours straight on three hours sleep from the night before. And I think I used my time wisely.

Christian's here for tonight and we're looking to go for Pho (I can't be bothered to find the accent) for dinner. If anyone is interested, they can get a hold of me on my cellular.

And tomorrow, I go back to school.

No comments: