Friday, September 12, 2003

MP3 Friday

For once I'm gonna get this done in good time. Go me!

Lately, I have been going through pitchforkmedia.com's top 100 of the 80s list and checking out some of the CDs that I don't know so well, or that I haven't heard in awhile. Part nostalgia, part the belief that I have missed out on a lot of good music. I think that this list should almost be required listening for the modern indie rock fan. I highly recommend going through it and checking out some of it. They have a list for the 90s as well, but the 80s is so much more interesting, given the general propensity of people to write it all off as kitsch.

That having been said, I've rediscovered a band that I used to like as a kid (my Dad listened to them a lot :gasp:) called the Cowboy Junkies. I 'm pretty sure they were at least moderately popular, so maybe you've all heard of them, but thats not the point, is it? So this week's post is their cover of the Velvet Underground song "Sweet Jane." Apparently this was recorded on like one mic and in a church, which is amazing since it sounds so good. Her voice is crystal clear, and the subtle country-tinged minimalist instrumentation comes through nicely balanced. Great song, great album.

No comments: