Sunday, October 19, 2003

On lousy jobs and annoying employers

Okay, does this make sense to anyone?

Last year, I was hired for my current job. I was informed I would receive at least 20 hours per week of work, which is enough to pay rent, eat, exciting things like that.

So they then hire an assistant manager, which effectively means they did not need to have hired me. I was actually told that if they had known the department would be getting an assistant, they would not have hired me. Big surprise, 20 hours per week turns rapidly lower.

Continuing on, I manage to keep at it, assuming things will get better. I work part time in the computer department of the store to make ends meet until I have worked the mandatory year that I must before I am allowed to transfer.

Yay! It has been a year. I apply for a position at a bigger, brighter, newer store. I say "I only get about 12 hours a week at my current store. I need 20 hours per week to be able to live." They say "No problem!"

I get my first schedule. Were it not for a specialized sales training course I have to attend during my first week at the new store I would have 9 hours. Nine.

So riddle me this : Why the HELL do you transfer someone to a new job only to give them LESS hours than the job they told you flat out they were leaving due to NOT ENOUGH HOURS?!?!

Argh!



So I'm starting wallpapering prestigious cosmetic counters with my resume tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: