Thursday, October 02, 2003

Film Festival Reviews (finally)

The Day My God Died: As to be expected of a movie about child prostitution in Bombay where the HIV rate is 80% among 100,000 kidnapped girls, it was a downer. There were four or five girls featured ranging from 14 to 21, each being kidnapped between the ages of 7 and 19 and forced into prostituion (and not forced in the bribe way--much worse than I'm comfortable discussing here). Down sides include Wynona Ryder's poetry recital which stopped the movie everytime she read a piece of a poem written by retrieved girls, and at times the pacing was slow, even for a documentary. On the upswing of this dreary presentation was the groups that are active in protecting theses girls from becoming a part of the pile. Definitely inspired activism. If I were giving it a percentage, I'd say about a 71% mark.

The Ressurection of the Little Match Girl: Probably my favourite movie so far this year (none have made me super excited), it encapsulates the 108 Buddist deemed human sins, a Hans Christian Andersen fable (he was the dark Mama Goose), VR Video Games, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Matrix fighting styles, cheesey CG and a fish gun called the "Mackerel". Absolutely amazing in its non-stop stuff happening. I'll probably be watching this seven or more times to get all of it in. Readings to take in before next screen will include: those 108 sins, The Little Match Girl itself (which Grae was using for his marking surface, oddly enough), and I really need to find out what movie had the digital butterflies that symbolized entry into VR (I theorize that it was eXistenZ, but I am not certain) and find out where that originates from). 85%

Gozu: Uh... Uh... If you don't like Takashi or DoA3, don't go. You won't get it. I didn't and I love the guy. 82%

No comments: