Thursday, October 23, 2003

Confessions of a rum-addled mind vol. 11

This issue: I miss my avatar, Costume Tips, Me and my PADI

1. I miss my avatar. It was animated. It was Homer Simpson with a glint in his teeth. I'm not sure what to make of this bat character, perhaps if he bit into something small and furry.

2. Costume Tips: Wear something bright and fluorescent so that cars can see you. Actually I meant "shopping" tips, but all the same...

- Value Village (7/10) Maybe I got started too late, but they were sold out of a lot of supplies and had inflated prices on "official" merchandise like the osbournes ($45-50 range). Still, the classic wigs were plentiful. Commercial and Hastings seems like the best of the bunch.

- Zellers (3/10) One aisle, I didn't even expect to find that. Mostly kiddie costumes with the exception of a complete dracula kit. Horrible.

- It's my party shop (6/10) On clark avenue in burquitlam. Mostly rentals but odds and ends like tridents, beards, swords etc...need to reserve a costume a month in advance.

- Spencer Gifts (4/10) As much as i'd like to look exactly like Gary Coleman to the point of fooling his birth parents, I can't justify $100...sorry, universal.

- London Drugs (8.5/10) Surprisingly good selection, 2 aisles, plenty of supplies (wigs, hwd makeup fx, accessories) and full outfits for kids and adults. 30% off.

So there's your answer to "where do i go for that fake beard 2 hours before the party?"

3. Me and my PADI

So I got into snorkeling this summer, between Alouette lake and Qualicum Beach, and realized my calling in this life. Then they closed all the parks and lakes for a month. I realized that my boss wrote the book on where to go diving in BC and found out that he was an instructor and shop owner through the late 80's and early 90's...enter my keen sense of enthusiasm.

I signed up for the open water scuba course a few weeks ago and am just into the second of 5 lessons consisting of 2 hours theory and 2 hours pool practice out at the Coquitlam Aquatic center. A class of four, youngest is 15 and eldest would be me. Far more extensive than I expected, they teach you how to select the right equipment for your needs (yeah, a marketing tool), perform safety checks, suit up and all the emergency recovery procedures. Plus a review of Kinesiology 105 and pressure vs. volume and all that good stuff...

First night at the pool, we started in the warmer waters of the wave pool by clearing masks, clearing regulators, swapping snorkel for regulator, inflatable BCD (vest) operation and breathing techniques. Then we moved over to the big pool and did some deep entry and maneuvering with massive fins on our feet. Quite an experience though, breathing underwater for the first time, floating with neutral buoyancy, balanced by a weight belt and semi-inflated vest.

That's all for today, kiddies...see you Saturday night.

Duke

No comments: