Tuesday, October 14, 2003

My Kill Bill Review

I'm gonna keep this sucker fairly brief as it is getting kind of late and I have to make sure Corinne gets some sleep (I get to sleep in).

I must say that this is one of those situations where I had the film hyped up so greatly that it could have ruined it for me. Both Garath and Corinne, who had seen the movie a few days before, had tried to prevent their excitement from slipping out, but failed miserably. (Garath actually let slip that it was one of his top 10 movies!) Going into this movie I had to ignore the hype that had built up. Did it affect my viewing of the movie in a negative way?

Yes. The movie actually seemed pretty slow and kind of cheesy at the time of viewing. The pacing seemed off, and the characterization didn't jump out at me. The action scenes and gore were entertaining as was a lot of the dialogue and odd QT-like scenarios. But at the time of viewing I was feeling a little underwhelmed. The movie really seemed to drag.

It was in retrospect that the movie slowly became one of my favorites. I kept thinking about little bits and pieces. Dialogue, kick-ass action, how hot Lucy Liu is. The movie didn't seem anywhere as deep as Quentin's other movies, but I think that there might be something going on that will handle that in the third movie. It was the little things that improved it in retrospect: the fact that the cereal box was labeled Kaboom, the music, certain scenes that jump to consciousness. The movie lingers as a good movie should, and brings the desire to go see it again.

All in all, pretty good, but no Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

86%

No comments: