Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Greetings from Smog-land

The city of Toronto welcomed me with a mighty thick layer of smog and humidity so fierce and painful. Oh how I miss the mountains, the breeze and of course you crazy people!

I am starting to get settled in my place. I will post photos soon, but to give you an idea, it is a Victorian-style home which I share with three others (two girls and a guy). My room is right up front, with a view of the tree-lined street (Markham St). I just spent (well my Mom spent ...) about $150 buying the basic stuff, which to me includes various paper lanterns for decorating and some thumbtacks for me to hang my Canucks jersey and some Vancouver photos. About the latter: I've been warned not to place my shrine to Vancouver in public view because it might cause disgruntled Torontonians to hurl rocks at my window. Bah! Incivility.

About unpacking: I just figured that the boxes are not going to unpack themselves. They might as well as they have their own little minds though - just today, one of my heavy luggages decided to fall on my left foot, possibly causing a huge bruise if not broken bones. It hurts like Kevin Federline's sense of style.

Anyway, you'll see a lot more of me ranting about the ups and downs of this city. I'll give it a chance to warm up to me; if not, then Vancouver here I come back.

PS: Three things I'll miss the most: (1) Karaoke - duh, (2) the skytrain (I detest the subway system here) and (3) relatively inexpensive yet still hefty servings of Asian cuisine (Chinese and Japanese to be more precise).

2 comments:

B-Town said...

JP Glad to hear that you are getting settled. Once you get to know it the Subway beats the shit out of Skytrain... and if you really miss it, take a trip out to Scarborough sometime... they have their own. (The BC Socreds bought ours from an ON Conservative govt.in '85; so Bloor Street West is the place to be... One of my favorite things about T.O. (very Jane Jacobian)
The new food thing for you might be from the West Indies. of which I am supremely jealous of chichiman.
I might be swinging by and giving you a shout come the begining of September (my cousin is getting married.)

J.P. said...

Yay. I will post phone digits in the forum if I havent done so already! Please do visit!

PS: Yea I've been to Scarborough and it feels so ... different. Sprawl-land anyone? I am actually just heading there to visit relatives. The thing is, my outfit really makes me stand out -- I dress not-so-thuggish.

PS2: I live three small blocks from Bloor! It is definitely very Jane Jacobs (she did live here after all!).