Tuesday, June 01, 2004

another of christian's hare-brained schemes...

I'm sure this idea will die in mediocrity just like the camping one, but I thought I'd mention it. kismet or something, as I keep encountering the idea in different places...

I propose we bring back a time-old tradition of clubhouse intramurals. the football games we had were legendary, tho were generally limited to, at most, a five on five format. I suspect this is because tossing around the ol' pigskin is a bit too elitist for those of the more pussy persuasion. so I propose a game more fitting of a general audience... folks, let's all grope our inner child, head out to the old ballyard and play a little kickball!

the great thing about kickball is that it requires very little athletic prowess. the ball is clumsy and big and awkward. even the best kickers flub it half the time, and it's unweildy as hell, which makes any truly painful peltings in the basepaths unlikely. but mostly, it's just fun. shit, even I could play it as a kid, and I was a TOTAL git as a kid. sad to think I'm waaaaay more athletic now than I was twenty years ago. for those who witnessed my football performance, this is indeed impressive.

I'll gladly pick up one of those big red four-square balls to donate to the clubhouse toy chest if we could get some people together and a field to play on, preferably when I'm up there. we'd want at least six per team, but any baseball derived sport lends itself well to playing with a bare minimum of players: ghost runners, pitcher's hand, etc. we could get by with as few as three on a side without requiring TOO much chasing the ball in the field, tho it would make for an offensive slugfest. I imagine the fewer players we have, the wider the basepaths should be.

is anyone up for it? it's a simple game. you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you kick the ball. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains (it's most fun this way). but as long as paul is there, we can all get in lots of target practice...

No comments: