Wednesday, February 04, 2004

My Neighbours Had To Increase the Volume Because My Teeth Were Grinding So Hard

Dear Shirley Bond,

This evening, on Global's story about the protests downtown, you stated that students need to remember that 70-80% of their education is funded by the government.

And I think you need to remember who the government is supposed to be: The people of British Columbia.

By raising tuition fees and increasing the cost of post-secondary education you put education out of reach for most British Columbians.

There is no question that a post secondary education opens greater doors to the future. By making education available to only those whose parents can afford to send them there the divide between the haves and have nots is increased significantly. The implications of limiting the liberty of your citizens through making gains inaccessible is staggering.

I would like to attend law school, but I won't be able to in this lifetime as my studies will cease with this fall's latest planned increase. With a student loan debt of $20,000 I will return to the lower paying jobs available and attempt to pay off my loan in time.

Thank you for reminding me that my 80% of my tax dollars are supporting your children through school,

Corinne

No comments: