Monday, November 01, 2004

Bruised, Blistered and Bleeding...

Well, it was a hurrendous move...mainly due to the fact that only one person showed up to help me move the entire contents of an 850sf apartment. I called my boss who was pretty much my personal saviour this weekend, between the assistance on saturday and temporary storage on sunday. Strangely enough, the 3/4T cargo van was double booked and we somehow managed to get a 1T cube. Anything less would have contributed further to the disaster with a 2am completion time (which would have been impossible as the new manager HAD to be there for the security and elevators). Sunday involved solely my own efforts of piling up drawer/closet contents into big piles, tying them in bedsheets and throwing them into the car to get the apartment vacant and spotless with a noon deadline on getting into the new place. All this plus carpet cleaners arriving at 2:30pm and new tenants at 3:30pm. I don't know how I'm still standing.

Unfortunately, the move isn't finished. The apartment that I chose (best $/sf plus oversize balcony) has not been finished, hence the contents of my apartment are currently occupying the boardroom of an ex-accountant's office in the same complex. Once my suite is complete in a few weeks, I need to move everything over and finally take occupancy on the 1st of December. So I'm putting out another SOS with three weeks notice that I NEED ASSISTANCE on the 20th of November. This will involve moving furniture, boxes and bags out the boardroom, down the elevator across an indoor bridge, up another elevator and directly into the first suite across from the elevator. In the meantime, I need to go back, repair and dejunk a little more.

This halloween, I went as a homeless Elvis (In The Ghetto Elvis?)...so I'm staying with Chris this week, Gareth and Sophie next week and at a co-worker's farm the following week with no definitive plans for the last week of November (as I may be able to gain early occupancy). I can be reached on my cell...Grae and Cor have the number. Everyone'll like the new highrise...between the incomplete state and the security cards instead of keys it feels like wandering around Nakatomi Plaza or something...

Duke

No comments: