Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Water for Water

I was catching up on my news today and came across this article in which UBC students are noticing that their water foutains are going away.

The school claims that they can't afford to repair the fountains, some said the water was tainted, but I think that the Coke theory is the strongest that I've heard. Even when I read the headline "Student asks why UBC cut off drinking fountains" I had already assumed Coke would be a focus. Last semester an instructor here made mention about Coke complaining to the school about the water fountains here being "competition" and that was against their contract. Our school cried "bullshit" (apparently, and the fountains are still here).

And it all boils down to lack of government funding to our post-secondary institutions. These contracts should never have to be made, but I'm all for losing my water fountain priviledges as long as I can afford to attend school. Should it be a choice between water and education?

No comments: