Thursday, September 08, 2005

It was observed that I haven't really posted about it...

I promise if I have another personal post I'll ressurect my personal blog. For now, you get to read about my life. Or skip it.

I started work yesterday. I have my own office. It's about the size of my last boss's office. The main difference is that I'm now on the 9th floor, I have minions and a view of the ocean, mountains and downtown. A serious view. I can see both Burrard and Granville Street bridges. I have a plaque next to my door that is silver with my name in Times New Roman font. It's classy. Seeing as how I work for a firm that builds houses, the interiour of this place puts the marble and hardwood of my last job's decor to shame. I have a ginormous solid wood door on my office. My desk is huge. It's V-shaped. I have two phone numbers (one a direct line to my office, another is a direct line to my voicemail). They're pretty picky about making long distant calls, but I can certainly accept them if you want to call my at my office. I have one of those key cards that you wave like magic and you get into locked doors. It's sweet. I also have an executive chair with more gadgets than even I've managed to figure out. I can get pretty much anything I request right now. I think I want a personal desk printer. They're cheap. I wanted a better chair than the one I ended up with (or at least my desk chair, I have two other chairs meant for guests). The first chair I got slowly creapt downwards all day long until I was seated cross-legged on the floor. So today, I asked Benita (Office Manager) for a new chair. She offered me the super exec one I have now. I sat in it, said it was fine. She then said she had another chair to try out if I didn't like that one. And if I didn't like either of them, she'd order me a brand new one. (!!!) I took door number one without looking at the other options. I was featured on their intranet site. It pops up every time anyonr in the office boots up their computer. It was a "Let's all welcome the new person! Here's her brief biography!" I didn't give them a bio, and yet they had one.

Immediate perks (outside of the cushy setting) are as follows:

1. Free fluid. Not just water and coffee and tea, but there is a wide array of fruit juices that are quite delicious. I trust the bottled juices more than the coffee. Everyone there is frighteningly friendly and perky. I suspect it is a facade or something in the coffee.

2. Free food. Not only was I taken out to lunch by my supervisor (who thanks me profusely whenever I take up or complete a task)\r\nyesterday to the Cactus Club, tomorrow they are having a "New Employee Orientation Lunch" which involves me, the new employee. So they're having a lunch for me.

3. Discounts galore! 50% off bus passes. A gym for $60 a year. Some other stuff that I can't think of.

4.And I'm a hop, skip and a jump away from Granville Island. I went to the deli for lunch today.

Speaking of appearances: I've also had to nerdify myself as I got pink eye and it won't go away. I got myself some cheap new glasses, and I have no contact lenses for a while. I think I look hot, all things considered.

Uh, pictures to follow on my flickr. Such as the view and maybe some nerdy picks (when the pink eye goes away).

No comments: