Monday, April 26, 2004

Monday Rant - Health Care Hellride

While I was sitting in a line of traffic for 30 minutes this morning, thanks to a health care worker blockade, I noticed that the slogans on their placards seemed to point to one thing: more money. I suppose we're the employer in this case, so how much more?

Are you curious about how a nurse hired at $60,000 per year actually makes $80,000 annually? So was I. Apparently, the union contract specifies a minimum number of days be alloted as sick leave. Typically, it equates to at least two per month. So here's the scam: Nurse A calls in sick Friday regardless of how she feels that morning. Her friend, Nurse B, has the day off...BUT, is sitting by the phone that day waiting for someone to call her in to fill in for A. Nurse B earns double pay but hasn't worked any overtime because she calls in sick on Monday and Nurse C comes in to earn double pay.

Is it any wonder why public workers aren't welcome in the private sector?

Rights? Security? Try pure greed. I cherished even the worst job I've ever worked, for one simple reason: IT PAYS THE RENT. Believe me, the urge to speed through the blockade was very high this morning...I guess their contract bars them from treating each other outisde working hours. not to mention that there's noone ACTUALLY working at the hospital. Whoops.

No comments: